What a Storm (some Pics)

WAWG Leadership Group

What a Storm (some Pics)

Postby nocky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 am

What a storm!! almost beats a cyclone, as Rusted wrote in another topic, winds up to 150kmh for Northam, here in Narrogin gusts of 130kmh and 10 minute avgs of 75kmh (according to my station), many trees and fences down in town and the bowling club lost it's roof completely, some sitting on the greens and some on the main road, missed pic of that as camera went flat and no power.
(my comparison of the storm to a cyclone will no doubt cause some discussion, but yes I have been in 4 cyclones, 3 in the north west and also Alby in Perth, this storm came faster than a cyclone with almost no warning, I looked at the radar and said to missus "Rain Coming" went to get clothes off line and saw storm approaching, was still as, then less than a minute it exploded to full force)

First 3 pics are of approaching storm and the last is about a minute later, when taking the first 3 it was calm, dead still, and pic 4 was taken less than a minute later with pouring rain and debris in the sky, centre far right you can see a sheet of corrugated iron, it looks small as it was a couple of hundred feet in the air, plenty of other crap was in the air but hard to see with the digital box brownie, batteries went flat on camera (holiday over use) and no power to recharge

#4 Notice debris centre of pic, far right is a sheet of corrugated iron, within seconds I was soaked to the skin by the heaviest and biggest drop rain I can remember, combined with the literally howling wind and flying debris, my missus described it as like a scene from wizard of oz, it was really quite spooky

WAWG Leadership Group

Re: What a Storm (some Pics)

Postby nocky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Drove around town this morning and at least 5 houses missing roofs,many many trees felled and landing on houses, fences, cars, can't get Pics as affected area's have roads closed and massive clean up happening, wait for the news I suppose

WAWG Leadership Group

Re: What a Storm (some Pics)

Postby silvercloud » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Wow that looked full on. I saw the bowling club and other damage on the news. Very nasty.

Return to January 2011